“We cannot solve problems by using the same kind of thinking, we used when we created them.”
- Albert Einstein
Low carbohydrate diets are commonly practiced but seldom taught. As a result, whether by design or neglect, mainstream medicine has either ignored or relegated this powerful tool to casual use.
Now, two prominent medical educators draw upon their 6 decades of clinical and research experience to bring you the definitive guide to low carbohydrate living.
As co-authors of the New York Times best-selling book ‘The New Atkins for a New You’, Drs. Volek and Phinney have continued their collaboration to provide an unabridged and in-depth perspective on this controversial and often misunderstood topic. Whether you are a healthcare professional seeking the best care for your patients or an inquisitive health-minded person, the research about the benefits of a low carb lifestyle will forever change your views about healthy food and dieting.
- Carbohydrate restriction is the proverbial ‘silver bullet’ for managing insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, and type-2 diabetes.
- A well-formulated low carbohydrate diet improves blood glucose and lipids while reducing inflammation, all without drugs.
- Carbohydrate restriction induces the process of keto-adaptation, refining the body’s metabolism to allow the mobilization and clearance of excess body fat.
- Dietary saturated fat is not a demon when you are keto-adapted.
- Dietary sugars and starches are not necessary to feed your brain or fuel exercise.
- Long-term success involves much more than simply cutting out dietary carbs.
- There is an ‘art’ to electrolyte and mineral management that is key to avoiding side effects and ensuring success.
- Trading up from sugars and starches to a cornucopia of nutrient-rich, satisfying, and healthy natural foods is empowering.